Terrence Thornton (born on May 13, 1977) popularly referred to by the name “Pusha T”, is a multi-faceted American artist, rapper, and record executive born in the Bronx, New York City. He emerged from the shadows by being one half of Clipse, the hip-hop duo that he co-led along with the brother of his “No Malice”.
Their first album of exclusive audio footage came out in 1997. However, the album released in 2002 Lord Willin‘ made them a household name. The album contained hits such as Grindin” as well as “When the Last Time” and firmly established Pusha-T‘s position as a rising star in the world of rap.
Pusha T started an independent journey after the success of this album, creating amazing albums such as My Name is My Name and Daytona. The albums did not just showcase his talent but also facilitated collaborations with an array of musicians. With sharp lyrics, an enthralling voice, and a sly style, Pusha T‘s music sounded incredible.
|Wiki Facts & About Data|
|Full Name:||Terrence LeVarr Thornton|
|Stage Name:||Pusha T|
|Born:||13 May 1977 (age 46 years old)|
|Place of Birth:||The Bronx, New York, United States|
|Education:||Princess Anne High School|
|Parents:||Gene Elliott Thornton Sr., Mildred Thornton|
|Spouse:||Virginia Williams (m. 2018)|
|Girlfriend • Partner:||Fefe Dobson (2010-2011), Karrine Steffans (2000)|
|Children:||Nigel Brixx Thornton|
|Occupation:||Rapper • Record Executive|
|Net Worth:||$20 million|
Early Life & Education
Pusha T was born on the 13th of May 1977, in the Bronx, New York City. Then, he moved from New York City to Virginia Beach, Virginia, where he was raised by their twin brother Gene “No Malice” Thornton. They formed the duo Clipse and were recognized in the mid-2000s for their dark, drug-dealing lyrics and their connection to the Neptunes which is a Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo production duo.
Pusha T‘s father, Gene Elliott Thornton Sr., passed away in April 2022. His mom, Mildred Thornton passed away just four months earlier in November 2021.
“Pusha T” was a student at and graduate of Princess Anne High School in Virginia Beach, Virginia. After graduating from his high school education, he centered on pursuing a career in music instead of pursuing further education.
Together with his brothers, The No Malice and No Malice, he founded the Hip-hop group the Clipse and became famous in the early 2000s due to their unique style and lyrical wit. “Pusha T”‘s commitment to the art of his trade and contribution to the world of music have earned him a hefty fan base and critical acclaim.
Pusha T has collaborated with numerous artists and released solo albums and was director of Kanye West‘s record label, GOOD Music. It is important to remember that education does not always determine the success of an artist or ability in the world of music, since creativity and skills can be cultivated from personal encounters and commitment to the art.
“Pusha T”‘s fascination with music began at a young age, which was further sparked by his older brother’s enthusiasm for hip-hop. Together with their father, the Thornton brothers explored music throughout their teens. An unintentional meeting with Pharrell Williams in the mid-1990s resulted in the signing of a recording contract in the mid-1990s with Elektra Records, but their debut album was a flop in the shadows, prompting the brothers to split.
In 2002, the debut record Lord Willin’ emerged under Arista Records and Pharrell Williams’ Star Trak Entertainment, earning critical acclaim and commercial success, fueled by the artist’s standout song”Grindin’. Clipse and Pharrell Williams continued to document their experiences with the world of drugs, gaining the trust of their fans due to their ability to write lyrics.
Tracks by PushaT‘s solo career started with mixtapes including Fear of God and Wrath of Caine in the latter half of 2000 and into the early 2010s. Then, in 2011, he joined forces with Kanye West‘s GOOD Music label label and was the label’s president in 2015.
For his own solo project, the singer-songwriter released an album he recorded as his first studio effort, My Name Is My Name in 2013, which was met with praise from the critics. The album released in 2018 Daytona which was produced exclusively by Kanye West was praised by the masses. “Pusha T”‘s lyrics weaved intricate tales throughout his life and resonated with the urban lifestyle, opulence, and hip-hop.
“Pusha T”‘s story started as a member of Clipse and was in the spotlight alongside his twin older brother The No Malice. Their first solo project was released in 2002 when The Clipse launched Lord Willin’ which brought critical praise and commercial success. The album’s journey continued through mixtapes and albums such as the mixtape Hell Hath No Fury in 2006 and Till the Casket Drops in 2009, which led to a break.
In 2018 Daytona which was recorded by Kanye West was a major hit and was praised for its artistic quality. Pusha T’s career was not over with collaborations with artists such as Kanye West, Travis Scott, and Tyler the Creator. His voice, lyrical sophistication, and social savvy gave a distinctive image. In addition to his music career, Pusha T played around with business and fashion by collaborating with brands like Adidas as well as Play Cloths and launching his clothing collection, Play Cloths. His role as an instructor on the show Rhythm + Flow was also a significant influence.
Awards & Nominations
BET Hip Hop Awards
- 2012: Best Club Banger (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2013: Track of the Year (“Numbers on the Boards”)
- 2013: Best Hip Hop Video (“Numbers on the Boards”)
- 2013: Best Collabo, Duo or Group (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2018: Album of the Year (“Daytona”)
- 2013: Best Rap Performance (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2013: Best Rap Song (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2013: Best Rap Album (as a featured artist on Kanye West‘s album “Cruel Summer”)
- 2019: Best Rap Song (“Sicko Mode” with Travis Scott, Drake, and Swae Lee, as a songwriter)
MTV Video Music Awards
- 2012: Best Hip-Hop Video (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2012: Best Editing (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2013: Best Hip-Hop Video (“Can’t Hold Us” with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, as a featured artist)
- 2013: Best Collaboration (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2013: Video of the Year (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
- 2013: Coca-Cola Viewers’ Choice Award (“Mercy” with Kanye West, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz)
MTV Europe Music Awards
- 2013: Best Song (“Can’t Hold Us” with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, as a featured artist)
These are just a selection of awards and nominations that Pusha T has received. His rapper contributions and collaborations with other artists have earned him recognition in the music industry.
- Instagram handle: Pusha T (@kingpush)
- Twitter handle: Pusha T (@kingpush)
- TikTok handle: Pusha T (@pusha_t)
- YouTube handle: Pusha T
- The Pusha T as well as Virginia Williams have been married for more than five years, with their marriage was announced in the year 2018. Their union is blessed by the birth of a son, Nigel Brixx Thornton who was born in 2020.
Prior to getting married, Pusha T was involved in a relationship with Fefe Dobson between 2010 and the year 2011. The couple also shared a love affair in 2000 with Karrine Steffans in 2000.
- The Early Years: Pusha T was born on the 13th of May 1977 in The Bronx, New York City. He grew up in Virginia Beach, Virginia, along with his twin brother Gene Thornton, known as No Malice together with whom he founded the Hip-Hop duo Clipse.
- family: Pusha T keeps his private life a bit private, however, it is reported that he’s married. In July of 2018, he got married to Virginia Williams, an old friend with a lavish wedding held in Virginia Beach. A number of notable personalities from the world of music attended the wedding.
- Relationship to Kanye West: Pusha T has a long-standing personal and professional relationship and the rapper Kanye West. He signed with Kanye’s label GOOD Music, in 2010 and has a number of times worked with Kanye. Pusha T was President of GOOD Music from 2015 to 2020.
- Legal issues In 1999 The Pusha-T was detained for his role in a drug-related occurrence, but he later signed a plea bargain and was sent to prison for probation. This incident heavily influenced the music he sings, and it usually refers to his experiences dealing with drugs.
- Giving back: Pusha T has donated to a variety of charitable causes. He was in 2018 when he joined forces with Adidas to contribute $1 million to charities that focus on helping the underprivileged in his hometown from Virginia Beach.
- My Name Is My Name (2013)
- Daytona (2018)
- Fear of God II: Let Us Pray (2011)
- Fear of God (2011)
- Wrath of Caine (2013)
- Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude (2015)
- Lord Willin’ (with Clipse) (2002)
- Hell Hath No Fury (with Clipse) (2006)
- Til the Casket Drops (with Clipse) (2009)
Pusha T‘s net worth is estimated to be around $20 million. He has earned his wealth through his successful music career and his business ventures outside of music.
Pusha T is the president of Kanye West‘s record label, GOOD Music, and has also launched his clothing line, Play Cloths. Additionally, he has appeared on television shows and in films, further adding to his net worth.